Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Anatomy

So as we continue to delve deeper into the legs of our cadavers, we are delving deeper and deeper into what my second year friend at UF medical school likes to call sweatshop learning. No sunlight, bad conditions, poor nutrition and learning from sunrise to sunset. There is an incredible amount of material that I am expected to learn in ridiculously short periods of time, but hey, at least now I really truly feel like a medical student.

What makes me feel like a medical student, you ask? The main reason: Gross Anatomy!
  • I constantly smell like formalin from the lab 
  • Tuesdays and Thursdays I run around campus in formalin-sprayed scrubs (yuck)
  • I usually have a Netter's Atlas of Anatomy tucked under my arm for studying
  • I mutter innervations and blood supplies when walking home from school
  • I randomly move my body parts while studying to help remember muscle functions
But also, since you asked...
  • I constantly have my iPhone on me to look up random medical facts / keep up with my calendar
  • I eat mostly canned and frozen food (hey at least I add spices and sometimes fresh ingredients...)
  • I sleep < 6 hours a night (I'm working on it!)
  • I am constantly in class, studying, complaining about studying, or thinking that I should be studying
  • I think I have every disease we study - even when I have zero symptoms
  • On a similar note, I like to pretend I can diagnose people on the street with random diseases (especially Graves' Disease - SEE IMAGE HERE)
  • I complain too much (also working on it!)
  • I find this: CLICK ME HILARIOUS
It should be easy, here at Tufts. Its Pass/Fail, how hard could it be? Thing is, I can't do Pass/Fail studying. I don't like to study to pass, I want to do well and understand/know the material. I mean, what would my future patients think if they knew I studied to pass!?! I wouldn't like that attitude from my doctor... So despite the fact that my grades absolutely don't matter in any way at all and never will, I study like mad and try to learn everything. And everything is a lot. Good thing I like to learn!

So Thursday we start Physical Diagnosis, and I'll be able to do a real doctory physical exam!!!!! Next time you see me, let me practice on you, because apparently I am supposed to practice on at least 100 people. I am just excited to learn how to actually the cool doctor tools I bought!!!

Also - Thanksgiving break was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!! I missed my family so so much and had an amazing time in Annapolis. Can't wait for winter break and a real break from studying!

1 comment:

  1. "I think I have every disease we study - even when I have zero symptoms" - I think that's my favorite one :) Can't wait to see you over winter break!! (Especially if you're going to be stress free!)

    ReplyDelete