I have been bad and haven't posted yet during our renal (kidney) block. The test is tomorrow, so I guess I have to post today!
The past three weeks have been kidneylicious. Normal kidneys look like, well, kidney beans. But pathologic kidneys can be pretty funky. Autosomal dominant polycystic kidney disease (ADPKD) is especially horrific. The kidneys can get bigger than your head, and they have gross balls of fluid in them that the pathologist decided to pull out and display on the table and squish around for emphasis. Gross. See the ADPKD pictures below....YUCK!
My favorite thing about kidneys is that they seem to make no sense until you really really understand everything. For example, the volume of water in your body depends on salt intake / output, not how much water you're drinking. And the amount of salt you have depends on how much water you drink. So to the kidneys, water = salt and salt = water. I promise it makes sense once you understand all of the hormones and transporters (a nice and simplified diagram of the transporters can be seen below, along with kidney doodles).Fun fact - although Weight Watchers and famous TV hosts say that we should drink eight glasses of water a day - it IS NOT TRUE. At least according to the nephrologists (Kidney Doctors). They say you know when you need water because your brain (anterior hypothalamus) senses that you are water low (hypernatremic), causing your brain to make you thirsty / retain water (side note: the hormone that does this comes from the same place as OXYTOCIN!). So drink when you are thirsty and you should be fine. I asked if drinking water helps with weight loss. The nephrologist didn't really know (or seem to care). Too busy to research that, but your kidneys do not need eight glasses of water a day! I always hated having to pee all the time from all that healthy water. Turns out, I was wasting my time peeing.
For my excersizers out there - DON'T TAKE NSAIDS (anti-inflammatories - like aspirin/ ibuprofen / naproxen) before strenuous exercise (like a marathon). NSAIDS inhibit prostaglandins which help keep your kidneys moving during low volumes (AKA when you are dehydrated from your exercise). Also, drinking too much water during a marathon can also cause you trouble. Basically marathons are dangerous.
| Kidney Doodlings |
![]() |
| Yes, this is simplified... |
So tomorrow I can say Goodbye Kidney (no cute graphic for that one)... or at least until I encounter my next hypertensive patient.


No comments:
Post a Comment