Winter has been cold (Polar Vortex Cold). And dark (Sun Sets at Four Dark). And exhausting. I caught a cold on Pediatrics (as expected) and am in bed sick again today. Being sick (twice now) really tips me over from a high-functioning medical student to a unorganized wreck. I quickly unravelled from being able to cook all my meals, pack lunches, exercise, study daily, take care of patients, finish my notes on time, make all deadlines, and have time for side projects to barely meeting the requirements of my rotation and falling apart when I have to write an MPH paper or go away for the weekend. I guess I have a limit, and am able to handle all of these responsibilities until I get sick. Then it becomes too much. Poor Lisa.
A college friend and I used to scold each other when we would get into similar ruts, and tell each other to "get over your life dysmorphic disorder," or LDD.
Body dysmorphic disorder is a true psychiatric illness in which the patient has excessive concern about and preoccupation with a perceived defect of their physical appearance, despite appearing normal to others. These patients are inconsolable, and feel like they are deformed. Extrapolated, I am still functioning and in all honesty have a wonderful and amazing life, but here I am complaining and worrying and dwelling on a perceived defect in my life (being sick), therefore I have LDD.
(You will not find LDD in the DSM-V, the diagnostic guide to mental disorders that I have been using daily on my Psychiatry rotation.)
Alright, so we were being a bit insensitive. People suffering from body dysmorphic disorder aren't just complaining (like I am), they are really sick. But she was right that in my ruts, like this one, I shouldn't focus on the small things that I perceive as defective or negative (*I can't believe I slow down when I get sick*), and need to be more appreciative and realistic (*Everyone slows down when they get sick, chill out!!*). Clearly I respond to cognitive behavioral therapy...
No comments:
Post a Comment