Sunday, August 14, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

So school starts a tomorrow, and I think I am ready.

I feel like it has been 3 months since I left for Boston with my parents, but it has really been only two weeks. In those two weeks, I went on vacation with my family to New Hampshire and Ogunquit, Maine (see photo of us below at the best lobster roll joint in Maine!); moved into my tiny and awesome Boston apartment, got to know the city, and somehow made a lot of friends.


With Hannah and Dad in Ogunquit


When I first left for Boston I was like, hmm...I know nobody and I'm screwed. But I was wrong. I knew a lot of people and just didn't realize it. I got to see Jill, a friend from camp, and we walked around a neighborhood called Coolige Corner. Very Jewish, very cute. Lots of restaurants, synagogues, kosher food, and we also managed to find the birthplace of John F Kennedy. Kind of cool... I also spent time with Kat, a friend from High School. She is super fun and helped me find new clothes for school that I probably shouldn't have bought (loans). We ate in Chinatown and also went to the Beehive where I went with my mom while we were apartment hunting. Very cool place! I also know a couple of other people either through friends or from past experiences. I have contacted a lot of them and will probably see them at some point.

I also managed to meet a bunch of classmates! I posted my number on the Tufts Class of 2015 facebook group and found a guy named Aaron, who invited me to hang out my first night alone in Boston. He and I found two other classmates, who are named Ben & Jerry. The four of us partied around the Fanuiel Hall area and have been hanging out since! We went to Jillians, a bar / bowling alley near Fenway. Slowly we met more classmates, including a huge group of MD/MBA students who have been here all summer. They were really fun and wild.

My roommate moved in last Wednesday and her and I have spent a lot of time together and I really like (and admire) her. She is super interesting, smart, and fun, and knows a lot of really random awesome stuff. She likes Opera and reads a lot and I feel like I could learn a lot from her. We went to the New England Aquarium with her mom and sister on Thursday followed by a delicious Boston "chowdah" lunch at Legal Seafood, where we learned that their clam chowder has been served as some kind of tradition at every inauguration since Reagan's. Cool huh. The penguins at the aquarium were my favorite - so adorable and goofy, and we even saw the kind with the funny eyebrows.

Yesterday a group of people I had met over the week participated in a scavenger hunt put together by the class above ours at TUSM (we call them M14's, which makes me an M15). We were told we would get extra points for having team costumes, so we dressed like sporty superheros (long socks, sporty shorts, sweatbands, and capes...) and ended up being the only team that dressed up. We stood out, but made a lot of friends because of it. The scavenger hunt rocked, we found the John Hancock building and did a lot of embarrassing things including cramming all 6 of our teammates into a porta-potty. Gross! We ended up in 2nd... to last...place. But we had fun. And learned a lot about the city.

So tomorrow I start school again for the first time in over a year. I am a little terrified, but I am excited to get going and get into a routine. I hope it goes well! I only have MPH (Masters in Public Health) classes tomorrow, MD Orientation starts Tuesday.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment