Thursday, January 5, 2012

Bad Bloggers Take Big Breaks

And Medical School students get two weeks off for Christmas / New Year's.

But I'm back. With the following random thoughts:

I am so thankful to the man who donated his body to science to allow me to learn. My dissection-mate showed me that he has a depression where his wedding band was and it really broke my heart because he is somewhat young and unlike previous cadavers, looks stunningly alive and healthy. So this post is dedicated to him. And his brachial plexus that I spent 2 hours dissecting and figuring out today (see later thoughts).

Medical school is ludicrously hard. I know that people think that medical school is hard, but I am going to admit, confirm, and even insist that it is true. I don't know how much learning a brain can handle in one day, but medical school pushes my upper limits of daily brain capacity, which causes me to do things like forget birthdays and lose my keys. Just a thought.

Other things are also ludicrously hard. I am in an accounting class and boy did I have trouble doing my assignment. And there are so many things I just don't understand / know. Like all of geography. And most of history. So props to the people in other fields who don't get recognized for how hard their subjects are too.

I am going skiing this weekend with a lot of other medical students. We just studied the legs, and most of the fractures we learned about are most commonly caused by snow/ice activities. I even broke my humerus (upper arm bone) by falling while ice skating. I am a little nervous, and predict at least 1 bone from 1 classmate breaking this weekend. I hope it's not me and my bone.

This is a brachial plexus. It's what allows your entire upper extremity (doc term for arm) to move and sense. Take a look:


If you can't see the labels, thank me later. It's like a bunch of merging and splitting highways that all lead to the same five roads. Very confusing. But kind of cool. We dissected it out of the arm today, and it took a long time to find everything.  

I really should get back to reviewing, so that's all for this week!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. That you thought to thank your donor and think about him as a person tells me you and your partner will be excellent doctors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that you found this! I forgot I had written it! It was so inspiring to meet you and hear about Jim! I wish I could have known him better before he passed away. I wish you the best, and look for a post in the next week about the memorial and how much it meant to myself and my class!

      Delete